Our History

Mitchell Agility Dog Club was founded in 2004 by Graeme Matthews after he felt that his Blue heeler “Sparkie” would benefit from the sport.

Graeme built his own equipment, and attended the Craigieburn Dog Obedience Club to help foster focus and discipline in his dog. The Club had agility equipment but it was only brought out when Graeme attended training days.

With the help of a local Vet, Graeme was put in touch with Ian & Jenni Staniforth who were competing in the sport at that time, Ian was also an Agility Judge.  Graeme received lessons and a lot of advice from these two, but this ceased when the Staniforths moved away from the area.

Graeme then advertised for interested people in the nearby towns and received numerous responses.

The first class was held on 15 May 2004 at Graeme and Wedys Broadford property where a total of 6 people attended, the following week the number doubled.

A meeting was organised for 26 June 2004 and thus “Mitchell Agility Dog Club” was formed and then incorporated on the 16 July 2004.

The Club received a grant for $1040 and that was put towards the purchase of a trailer, to cart the equipment around in.

The Club has held classes at LB Davern Reserve in Wandong, since 13 September 2009, after Wendy & Graeme sold their Broadford property.

Training days and times have changed often to accommodate the member’s needs, and in 2012 the Mitchell Agility Dog Club trains at the LB Davern Reserve in Wandong, on Sunday mornings, weather permitting and not including public holidays.

The Club continues to grow as the sport itself changes. Many handlers/ instructors come from overseas  and give seminars to help educate the agility enthusiasts to keep up with the growing trends. 

MAD is also involved in providing entertainment in the form of demonstrations at local shows, expos and fairs.

Members Area

Upcoming Events

Recent Forum Posts

Newest Members

Recent Photos

Recent Blog Entries